Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Ordination Day


God called Jeremiah and said in Jeremiah 1:5:"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I sanctified you; I ordained you a prophet to the nations." It is an amazing thing to consider that God knew each one of us before we were born. On top of that He does have a plan for our existence here on earth. God has used this verse and this chapter many times in my walk with Him. I sensed His call to be a Pastor back in October 1999 at the age of 17. For a majority of the time since then I had struggled whether I really heard from God or not...

The month of June started out with 2 days of major spring cleaning of the church building. Everything was done from painting, repairing, varnishing, and organizing. Moments like these truly remind me that to serve Jesus in any capacity is a privilege and honor. The team did such a great job and the building looks great.

I was also able to teach on another Sunday morning for Raf as well as teach at the Spanish service that night. As always it was truly a blessing to impart the truths of God to the people of Santa Ponsa Community Church.

My parents arrived here on June 11th with the intention of staying here for one week. As I mentioned a couple of newsletters ago, they came because they wanted to be a part of the Ordination Service. I hadn't seen them for one year in person. It was a great reunion. They had never been to Spain or Europe. It was such a joy to show them around the island and the world I had been living in for nearly 2 years. I couldn't believe they were actually here meeting the people, staff, and Pastor Raf along with his wife Loretta. God is so good.

We also had a conference called the "The Reality of Christianity." It started Tuesday June 16th and ended Thursday June 18th. The theme verse was Galatians 6:9: "And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." The speakers had 2 objectives. They were to do a Bible study on this verse. Secondly, since they had all been involved with ministry for 20 or more years, Jimmy and I asked them to get practical in the 2nd session. The question went something like this: "What would the older version of yourself tell the younger version of yourself?" In other words, what are some things you wish you knew as a young Christian/Pastor. It took a lot work to host our very first conference and praise God it went well! Once again, the team here pulled together.

Then June 17th came. Ordination Day and the 2nd day of the conference. Jimmy and I picked out a few worship songs to be played. Pastor Raf gave an incredible message on Ordination. He first spoke on what it wasn't, and then what it was. He concluded by giving Jimmy and I a charge on the responsibility of being a Pastor. Next, he spoke about how he saw the call on my life and then Jimmy's life. We went up after individually to have the Pastors lay hands on us to pray. The 5 Pastors were: Rafael Manzanares(CC Mallorca), Ivan Martos(CC El Rincon), Joe Holden(CCBC Murrieta), Dave Shirley(CCBC Director), and Louie Monteith(CC Norco/Go!Ministries). I couldn't have asked God for a better Ordination service or day! So, 9 years and 8 months later it became official. It came to fruition. God's timing is truly perfect. Later that night Phil Twente(missions pastor) of CC Costa mesa arrived. He brought Jimmy and I up to pray for us. He anointed us with oil on the right thumb, ear, and toe. This was done when the priests were anointed for ministry to Israel in Leviticus 8:23-24.

In closing, a lot of things have been said to me after the Ordination. Good things, really nothing negative. Things like: "So, your a Pastor now." I thought about this statement and think, "yes and no." The truth is I have been doing the work of a pastor, teaching the Bible, and preaching the gospel for almost 10 years. For 8 years I was involved with the youth ministry of CC Upland and in God's eyes I was a pastor to those teens. The things I did before June 17, are the same things I am currently doing after June 17th. Now, man recognizes the calling as well as I am legally a Pastor for other practical aspects of pastoral ministry.

Out of all the Bible characters, David comes to mind. Anointed and ordained by Samuel the prophet to be King of Israel in 1 Samuel 16. Some say David was in his teens or early twenties. It is not until 10 years later Judah acknowledges it in 2 Samuel 2. Then the men of Judah anointed him. Finally in 2 Samuel 5 the rest of Israel acknowledges it and anoints him again at the age of 30. Anointed 3 times. The first time was Ordination and the other 2 times was a Coronation. According to the Lord, I believe the first time counted. David was just being trained as well as learning what it meant to shepherd God's people. As Pastor Louie said to me: "This service is more for us." Either way, it is a new season/chapter in my life as it was in David's life. I am truly humbled and excited. God help me to always remember I am what I am because He ordained it so before I was in my mother's womb...

By His Grace,
Eric

2 comments:

Jason said...

It's always great to read your newsletter and see what God is doing in your life.

Alison said...

That's my verse...the first part:)
Yes, you have always been my Pastor!!! You mean a lot to me as well as the rest of the youth group. You are so encouraging to me, I am so blessed and proud to call you my brother!I miss and love you...PASTOR ERIC!
Love,
Al