Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bitter Sweet Symphony


Acts 28:8-10: "And it happened that the father of Publius lay sick of a fever and dysentery. Paul went in to him and prayed, and he laid his hands on him and healed him. So when this was done, the rest of those on the island who had diseases also came and were healed. They also honored us in many ways; and when we departed, they provided such things as were necessary." This took place on the island of Malta, where Paul was shipwrecked on the way to Rome. Rome was the ultimate destination where he would have ministry opportunities, write part of the NT, and be martyred eventually. However, Jesus had plans and purposes for Paul first on this island. There were good works for Paul to walk in (Eph. 2:10). Three years ago, I initially was headed for mainland Spain to help Ivan and Eunice start a church. The Lord had something else in mind... I would spend two years and ten months on the island of Mallorca. There were good works for me to walk into. The month of June was my last full month there, and it was bitter sweet...

On Sunday June 6th, I taught for Raf while he was out of town. Raf is not one to tell me what to teach usually, but this time was different. One of the couples in the church, were having 30 or more Germans from their company visit the church that Sunday morning. Most of them who would be attending, were unbelievers. Raf said: "I need you to preach the gospel, discuss the difference between religion vs. relationship, and give a little bit of your testimony. It needs to be evangelistic, just do what you always do at the prison." So, I prayed and prepared my heart all that week. My main text was out of John 5:1-9. The title of my message was: "Do you want to change?" After the service, I had a great conversation with one of the visitors. His name is Michael. He said to me... "I only understood half of what you were saying. I wish I could understand more. I want to know more about this Jesus and find out what this life is all about. Thank you for sharing these words." I then left the sanctuary, only to return 10 minutes later. All these German believers were surrounding Michael with tears flowing from their eyes. Not to mention his as well. They all took turns praying for him. I then spoke with Thomas who serves on staff with me, he went on to tell me Michael just received Jesus Christ!! I was elated and on cloud nine!!! Another person in the kingdom...

This month was also full of practical preparations for my departure. This included taking my car to the mechanic, paying for my visa for the summer, going to the town hall to turn paper work in, purchasing a ferry ticket, researching my route from Central Spain to Southern Spain once off the ferry, working out cell phone issues, packing up my belongings, and then loading everything in my 95 Volkswagen Golf for departure. Johnny was such a blessing to me, as he helped me with some of these preparations!! Glad it is all over! ;)

On Friday June 25th, was my last visit to the Prison in Palma. I went to Module #9, where it all began in September of last year, to visit John David. This is the young man I have mentioned in past newsletters and furloughs. This is the guy who always rounded up the rest of the prisoners to come to our Bible studies. Raf would always interpret for the teaching part. John David was one of the first guys we met, on our very first visit to the prison. Raf and I hit it off with John David immediately. Due to other responsibilities, and a vision to start something in Palma, Raf stopped coming with me to the prison about 3-4 months ago. I thank Raf for the time we did serve together in there. I continued to go twice a week to the prison. However, on Fridays I continued to visit John David along with some other inmates. We really developed a good friendship. It also forced me to practice my Spanish even more so! John David was always patient with me, and still asked me questions about God and the Bible. Reading Scripture together was great. We also spoke about life in general, our personal lives, and of course laughed a lot, poking fun at each other!!! You see, he was also trying to learn English. So, we had a great time as we both struggled with each others' languages!! Now, here is some great news...


John David will be released from prison on Wednesday August 4th. He has convinced his wife and children to move from the Canary Islands (also Spain), to Mallorca!! He wants to attend Santa Ponsa Community Church, and go to the Bible College!!! Raf is going to visit him before he gets out of prison, and check in with him. Please pray that his move works out!!! God is so good!!!

I also met a few more times with Alvaro and Andrea, to finish training them in the bookkeeping/accounting. This was one of the most challenging and hardest things I have ever had to do in ministry. Not only was it a lot of work, but I had to do it all in Spanish!!! Like Raf said, it was very good practice!!! Rick was so helpful, as he and Andrea translated all the account names into Spanish. The program/software doesn't come in Spanish, and is all in English. This means we also had to translate certain names, and then show them how to go back and fix mistakes. What makes it all worth it? Well, I know Alvaro and Andrea are a godly couple who serve Jesus with integrity. I know they will do an even better job than I did previously. They are a very gifted couple! We also had some fun, laughing at me make some mistakes with the language!! :)

In closing, I am excited to finally be with Ivan and Eunice here on the mainland. However, I praise God that I got to spend the last three years in Mallorca!!! What I gained and never expected in regards to ministry: access into the prison, meeting certain prisoners I know by name now, salvation and baptism of Johnny, teaching a home fellowship, teaching on Sunday morning for Raf, serving on the board, being entrusted to work with the finances, teaching three Bible college classes, leading a few people to Christ, studying the Bible with homeless Mike, being ordained as a pastor, making new friends, having a second church family, etc.. I also gained some life long friends with Pastor Raf and his wife Loretta. I will never forget their kindness, and letting me serve under their leadership. On my last Sunday in Mallorca, they prayed for me. I was then surprised, by a little party at a restaurant that night. I was given gifts, treated to a great meal, and received many kind words. Lord willing, I will be able to visit Mallorca in the future. From the bottom of my heart I love you all!!!!

By His Grace,
Eric

No comments: