Monday, May 23, 2011

Nostalgia


Nostalgia: "A sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations. A yearning for the past, often in idealized form." We can all fall prey sometimes in our lives to this. At any given time, we can become "nostalgic." King Solomon wrote this in his latter days: "The end of a thing is better than its beginning...Do not say, 'Why were the former days better than these?' For you do not inquire wisely concerning this." This is taken from Ecclesiastes 7:8a;10. The chapter itself, speaks of the value of practical wisdom. You see, your story doesn't stop here. In many ways, God is just getting started! However, while closing shop here in Spain, I have to admit to caving in at times. During the month of April, memories flooded my heart and mind...

On Tuesday April 5th, I departed SoCal and landed back in Spain the next day on the 6th. It was now the beginning of the end here in Spain. I thought the "end" wouldn't be until August 2012, marking 5 years here. I was even open to Jesus keeping me here longer. A verse in the Bible has brought me comfort as of late. Proverbs 16:9 states: "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."

On Sunday April 10th, I reunited with CC El Rincon. Ivan asked me to share with the congregation that morning, instead of him teaching. Ivan wanted me to basically share what I shared at CCU back in March. I went ahead, and informed the church of exactly what happened again with the visa. I commentated on Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 & 11a, and finally shared some possible ideas for ministry in the future. Needless to say, the people were not only encouraging me for the future, but welcomed me back with such great love.

On Wednesday April 13th, I went to the elementary school to see the Children's Gospel Choir concert. Eunice & her sister Alicia, have done a wonderful job working with the children. In fact, their faithfulness has been rewarded. Recently, they were asked to do the same thing in other schools! This is such a big deal, as Spain becomes increasingly more secular, wanting Jesus out of their schools. I know God is planting seeds especially in the hearts of the parents, who do not believe.

A big part of "closing shop" here in Spain, is all the practical things! Some things had been shut off while gone. I had to get the hot water going again, buy another propane tank for gas, get packaging tape, purchase boxes, pay the bills, etc. I also began throwing stuff away, separating clothes for donation, and begin packing my belongings. Once again, I was also able to help Ivan write his newsletter. It is always fun to brainstorm ideas when writing!

On Sunday April 17th, I was invited to go to the home of the Arevalos family. As mentioned in previous newsletters, this family gave their lives to Christ back at the Retreat November 1st. It was a pleasure to come back, and find all three of them continuing to grow in their walks with Jesus. I will never forget their hospitality and kindness. Spending time with this family, reminds me of a statement Pastor Rafael Manzanares always made to me..."Missions is about relationships."

I also began doing research, to see how much my car was worth to sell. I also had to be realistic, as I began noting the pro's and cons of my older vehicle. Unfortunately while gone, the inside of my car had become the home for mold. I was able to find some good cleaner, and do a deep clean of the interior of my car. That would have taken the value of the car down!;) On Wednesday April 20th, Tio Pepe (Eunice's Dad) accompanied me to ITV (Yearly Inspection). This is not only something that had to be done in order to sell my car, but not get pulled over! It is so stellar on the mission field, to see God also work in the little things. I almost took my car to the ITV that fails almost everybody. However, Ivan shared with a church member about my car. That member, had just taken his car in to the ITV that is way more lenient. I was nervous, because upon my return I discovered that my front windshield wipers were no longer functioning. Well, the car passed inspection! I was really surprised, but not more than Tio Pepe!

On Wednesday April 27th, a missionary came with her parents and grandma for 8 days. Bernadette Gonzales, has been a missionary in Montreal, Quebec for the past 5 years. She is now praying about becoming a missionary to Spain. The next day, I accompanied them to pass out fliers in El Rincon. The fliers contain the church's contact info, meeting address, Scripture, and a friendly invitation. We were able to hit up many houses and apartment buildings. In the past, the fliers have been used by the Lord to bring people to services. Bernadette's father, has some family history here in Spain. His ancestors are from Toledo, an hour's drive Southwest of Madrid. Naturally, they wanted to drive up and visit the city. They were kind enough to ask me to join them! I will write more about this next newsletter.

I have to admit, I became a little "nostalgic" packing up. Looking at old photos, reading letters from my family, and reading cards from special occasions, gave it to me. However, like everybody else I have to combat the temptation of "idealizing" the past. Someone once said, or maybe more than once: "'Good old days,' are the combination of a bad memory and a good imagination." Now, granted life has been great here in Spain with great memories. There has been some fantastic days, but honestly there has been bad days as well. That is not just missionary life, but just life in general! As Christians, we have to listen to wisdom and know the future is better! We have to live in the "NOW," seize the moment, make the most of every opportunity, and not take one day for granted! Ultimately, life will be the best in Heaven! Those will truly be the "Good old days!" So, buckle your seat belt, your best days are ahead of you!

By His Grace,
Eric

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow, Eric! I had no idea any of this was going on, or that you are leaving Spain soon.
I must say... I can totally relate to this post in SO many ways.
Believe me... the nostalgia will kick up again when you're home& living a new, non-Spanish life [can anyone say culture shock?], but I also know you'll honestly be able to look at both the season in Spain as well as the season in America, and thank God for them both. Equally!
He truly does know best& has the most perfect timing. Praying for you, Homeboy! [Haha, couldn't resist the ol' nickname!]

Eric Flores said...

Natalie!!
For sure, I know I will probably be combating nostalgia for a while...considering I am used to life in Spain now. Thanks for your kind words and prayers! By the way, Slap you're crazy!;)